The Conference of Latin America Geography (CLAG) is a non-profit organization with a mission to foster geographic education and research on Latin America, publish the Journal of Latin America Geography (JLAG), and host the conference of Latin America Geography. Membership is open to all who wish to further the mission of CLAG.
Benefits of CLAG membership include:
- Participation in a community that started five decades ago, spans the Americas and Europe, includes several generations of scholars, is central to promoting diverse research on Latin America and the Caribbean as well as its diasporic communities, and seeks to maintain faculty lines focused on Latin America in university programs.
- An opportunity to make professional contacts that can assist with research logistics, recommendations, teaching materials, and other types of support.
- An invitation to participate in CLAG’s international conference, which is large enough to be diverse but small enough to allow for meaningful professional and collegial engagement.
- Opportunities to engage in service to build your academic career.
- Contributing to an organization that supports young scholars by granting approximately a dozen graduate students each year travel and research awards up to $1,500 each.
- Recognition of our members through awards for scholarship, service, and other meritorious contributions.
- Access to CLAG’s award-winning publications, including JLAG, the world’s only academic periodical that specializes in geographical research on Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Access to CLAGnet, a virtual forum on which you can find and post announcements of conferences, positions, and other opportunities as well as discussion of many practical and intellectual issues of concern to community members.
- Participation in a non-profit, international organization that works to enhance the diversity of perspectives involved in research on the places of the Americas as well as to mitigate the global divide in access to the resulting research publicationsthrough CLAGnet and the open-access program at JLAG.
CLAG publishes the Journal of Latin American Geography, and CLAG membership includes a subscription to the Journal of Latin American Geography. Indeed, your membership in CLAG will entitle you to all of our publications:
- Journal of Latin American Geography (three issues per year)
- CLAGnet listserv subscription
- Bi-annual newsletters
If you would like to only receive the digital edition of JLAG, make sure to select that option when joining CLAG or renewing your membership. However, be aware that when you elect to receive the digital edition only, you will have to access JLAG through Project MUSE.
CLAG Membership Dues:
- Individual members (U.S. residents) $70
- Individual members (Canadian residents) $92*
- Individual members (foreign, non-Latin American residents) $102*
- Individual members (all Latin American residents, faculty and students) $20
- Students/Retirees (U.S.) $20 †
- Students/Retirees (Canada) $42 *
- Students/Retirees (foreign, non-Latin American) $52 *
- Institution (U.S.) $120
- Institution (Canada) $142 *
- Institution (all foreign) $152 *
- Lifetime (anywhere) $700 **
† Students should remember to send a copy of their student ID to secure their subscription at the student rate. At the time of membership purchase please send a copy to: firstname.lastname@example.org
* Higher cost reflects additional shipping cost for JLAG.
** Contact CLAG Treasurer for payment information.
Please direct your questions to email@example.com.